Sunday, July 02, 2006

Spinning Lesson for the Day . . .

Ok, I’ve decided, finally, that I can not stand working with carded fiber. Well, maybe that is a bit harsh. I should qualify that statement by saying I can’t stand working with my carded fiber. I bought a cvm lamb’s fleece that I had my heart set on making lace weight yarn with – well here is the inside of one of my batts:




The spinning was not fun, and I was constantly stopping to try and pick out the neps in this mess. So, being anal and also, trying to remember how much money I spent on this fleece (a lot) I decided to comb the rolag. Well, it is a big rolag, so part of it:



It is making a really nice soft nest and I am loving spinning up this stuff. It is just flowing out of my fingers. I am still trying for lace weight, but there is still a lot of lanolin in there (yes, I did wash before carding, but I can never manage to get it really, really clean) but, you know I really prefer spinning it this way versus a dried up commerical processed top!



This is the end result and I am now a very happy camper! Anyone want to buy a Louet Carder?




I also plied up the fiber I had on my bobbins for this wool/mohair you’ve all heard me talking about. Pretty huh? I now have 648 yards of this – with a little more than 4 ounces left to spin. It’s been a very productive weekend so far!


5 comments:

melanie said...

I'm glad the combing worked, and the wool/mohair is very pretty. I like the subtle colours. Any plans for it yet?

June said...

Can't decide what to do with it, and I'm always stuck until I get the final yardage!

CarolineF said...

Yup, I have cards, but I spun one bobbin of carded rolags of targhee and threw up my hands and sent them to Sam who cards well AND loves targhee. Either I card terribly, or I don't like spinning from rolags. Or both.

Vicki said...

I find my carded fiber more difficult to work with, too. Glad you were able to find a workaround for your CVM fleece.

Saints and Sinners said...

Not sure if you still have the carder for sale, but if you do email me PLEASE!!!
barbesj AT earthlink DOT net